Press "Enter" to skip to content

Electricians Offer Tips on How to Prevent Fires Caused by Faulty Wiring

It’s not all the time that electricians can take care of a property owner’s electrical system, which is why knowing the basics of wiring helps prevent fires.


Faulty wiring is a leading cause of fires in residential and commercial establishments across Australia. It is why electricians argue that hiring a professional makes perfect sense to avoid this situation.

For property owners who want to keep their families and house safe from fire, here are some valuable tips from Adelaide Urban Electrical:

  1. Understand the basics of good electrical wiring.

Installations should be done per your local council’s regulations and electrical code requirements. The purpose of the code is to ensure that homes and buildings are safe, provide adequate power, don’t cause damage by fire or shock, won’t interfere with radio or other systems operating on their frequency and don’t cost too much to install.

  1. Choose a suitable material for your project.

When you are building or remoulding, it is always wise to check with an electrician about what materials will work best for your situation. An expert can help make sure that you get the right product that will last if possible and be safe for everyone in your home.

  1. Ensure your wiring is up to code.

Not all wiring regulations are created equal. It’s important to know if you have older installations or remodelling work on your property, as well as any special needs or rewiring that may be needed for different aspects of your home, including the kitchen, laundry, and bathrooms. Therefore, talking to electricians Adelaide about what you want is important because they know your house best.

  1. Never make changes or repairs without knowing how.

While it can be tempting to do some minor electrical work yourself if something goes wrong, this isn’t recommended. Your property may have a faulty fuse box that only an electrician can troubleshoot and fix to prevent you from doing more damage. Making changes or permanent repairs without knowing what you’re doing could lead to a fire emergency, so an expert must be called in for any kind of work on the electrical system.

  1. Be sure your wiring meets the code.

Many electrical codes have been developed to specify the materials, techniques, and methods used in electrical installations. If you need a permit for your work or are unsure about a situation, always check with electricians like Adelaide Urban Electrical who are familiar with local building codes.

  1. Don’t cover your outlets.

If you haven’t heard this tip before, it’s something worth keeping in mind. Don’t ever cover your outlets with decorative plates, which can lead to overheating and fire hazards. Be sure to use a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) whenever you have a ground fault in your home electrical system.

  1. Check for frayed or damaged wiring.

Since wires are often exposed to environmental elements like humidity and the sun, they can be vulnerable to damage. Be sure your wiring is in good condition before you have an electrician out to inspect it. They can find frayed wires and other problems that could pose a fire hazard if left unchecked, so this isn’t something you want to take lightly.